Monday, January 24, 2011

Thank you, New York

Hello there, New York City,

Got a minute? I need to tell you something. I have to leave you now, but I will miss you badly. Where am I going? Well, for the next six months I will live in Columbus, GA, then I'll spend 3 months in Norfolk, VA. After that, I'm not sure, but I won't live here. What? Of course I still like you!...No, I don't want to leave you, but I have to. I really would like to stay here forever, but I can't.

Before I go, I want to thank you personally for a few things. Thank you, New York, for:
  1. Being the greatest city in the world
  2. Having more great music and art than anywhere on earth
  3. Being the most diverse and tolerant city I know
  4. Having a generally cultured and intellectual populace
  5. Having great public transportation, 24/7
  6. 400 miles of bike lanes
  7. Grand Central Station
  8. 1,700 parks (so many great parks! Central Park is a little over-rated, but I have enjoyed her many, many times)
  9. The Metropolitan Opera (Alas! How will I live without you?)
  10. Oh yeah...Met broadcasts
  11. American Ballet Theater and NYC Ballet
  12. Carnegie Hall
  13. Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, Greenpoint, Washington Heights, and all the other good ethnic food neighborhoods
  14. 18,951 restaurants. Seriously.
  15. Great food, and bars that stay open until 4 am
  16. Shoe-shine guys
  17. MOMA, Natural History, Met, and all the other great museums
  18. Times Square (to contain most of the tourists and keep them out of Astoria and other lovely places)
  19. Diners and pizza joints
  20. Abundant taxis
  21. The jogging/bike path that encircles Manhattan
  22. Fancy people
  23. Weird people
  24. Ridiculously liberal people
  25. Really great people
  26. Broadway, 30th Avenue, and Ditmars
  27. The Bohemian Beer Garden
  28. Astoria, the greatest neighborhood in the universe
  29. Making Taylor happy (Veniero's is a nice touch)
  30. Being invincible
Most of all, New York, thank you for all the opportunities you have provided, bringing so many talented people together, and offering me a chance to make it here.

Many of my friends and family members don't get you. "Why do you live in New York?" they ask. "What's so great about New York?"...I agree - they are dumb questions. You exposed me to higher standards in every field, the stiffest competition on earth, an audience for what I do, the largest/best community of talented artists and collaborators, and people and organizations with the means to support my work and growth. You taught me resilience, patience, compassion, and gratitude for what I have. You fostered my evolution in the most important part of my professional development.

Remember when I first came here to you? It was September 2002, and I had $100 in my pocket, no car, no job, no connections, and no apartment. I'm leaving 9 years later as the music director of 2 professional orchestras, co-director of an international conducting institute, and U.S. Army Conductor/Officer Candidate. You can't do that in many cities. You made me who I am, New York, and I am extremely grateful.

Next time I come here, I'll be a tourist. I'm truly sorry. I'll try to blend in, though. No, I won't wear a colorful ski jacket. No, I won't block pedestrian traffic by just standing in the middle of the sidewalk. No, I won't see the Spider-Man musical. Yeah, I heard it sucks, too.

Well, my friend, it's time for me to go. Thank you for all you have given me. You are New York City, the Big Apple. I made it here. I can make it any where. It's up to you, New York.

I love you.
Silas

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Beautiful.

Bahman Saless said...

It's sweet and sad Silas. You deserve the best ...just remember that!

Best of luck. I feel lucky that at least I won't lose you!

Bahman